How to Fix Leaking Balconies
The correct waterproofing approach is simple: install a robust and appropriate membrane system "that works & lasts".
A recent insurance survey has shown that “Balcony Waterproofing” has the highest failure rate of all areas in the building envelope.
However only 1.8% of the total construction cost is spent on waterproofing membranes for balcony areas, and yet leaking balconies account for a staggering 83% of building defect complaints.
Balcony Waterproofing Systems
- Balcony areas are exposed to full climatic conditions and if installed incorrectly or inferior products are used, the chance of failure is high.
- Repairs & modifications to a balcony membrane & surface provides an essential and integral part of the building envelope and should not be taken light-heartedly.
- Waterproofing balcony surfaces, especially balconies with rooms below and rooftop terraces should be a well thought out process and not reliant on cost alone.
- Ideally membranes are installed correctly from the outset and with quality products - as failure of balcony waterproofing can result in catastrophic water damage to structures below and even complete collapse.
Commercial Balcony Repairs - Qualified Builders
As both Registered Building Practitioner & Certified Waterproofers, our Team offers construction & structural knowledge combined with waterproofing expertise.
Waterproofing Details for Balconies
- Balcony membranes require a membrane system that provides a permanent water barrier to all wall upturns, floor, around drains, balustrade & all points of penetration etc.
- Water has to be prevented from penetrating beneath the balcony surface, where structural damage will compound over time and is often invisible.
- Water can track great distances from the point of entry.
- A basic principle in construction is to factor in building movement - the normal cyclic expansion & contraction of materials.
- The waterproof membrane has to flex and move with not only the balcony structure but also the associated adjacent building envelope.
Waterproofing Membrane under Timber Decks
Seamless liquid applied membranes have become the ultimate solution for deck waterproofing.
A quality balcony waterproofing membrane is especially essential for preserving any area underneath timber decking from water causing ingression damage to rooms below.