Roof Waterproofing Costs & Repairs – FAQs
How Much Does It Cost To Waterproof a Roof ?
Obviously there are various contributing factors affecting the cost of a roof waterproofing project - especially if construction repairs & restoration are also involved.
- Using Liquid Applied Membranes the spray application stage of a roof project can be determined with respect to time ( weather permitting).
Find out about Liquid Applied Membranes HERE
- However a major cost is the time required to prepare a roof surface prior to waterproof membrane application.
- The Team at Findlay-Evans pride themselves on painstaking and often hand detailing a roof site.
- Great - not just good- preparation can mean the difference between waterproofing success or failure.
Roof Waterproofing Method - Preparation
- Old roofs over the years accumulate layers of pollution,chemicals & materials.
- These areas need to be thoroughly cleaned prior to waterproofing.
- Waterproofing preparation is especially important for roof surfaces that we call "busy" i.e multitude of rooftop services & plant decks.
- These areas need to be detailed and made water tight around, under and over all upstands, penetrations etc
- Time & method taken can be significant - hence preparation costs can add up.
- Many leaking roofs have not been regularly maintained, and often have been subject to routine patch repairs .
- Over the years we have seen it all.
- The multiple attempts to stop roof leaks by contractors and maintenance crews using everything from caulking to TPO patches, even peel and stick roofing patches.
- Often times patches do not adhere and only managed to hide evidence of membrane damage caused by saturation.
- Previous repairs have to be eliminated or managed prior to installation of a new membrane.
- Many roof surfaces are well & truly at the end of their life cycle and in dreadful condition. In these cases roof surface cleaning, prepping & detailing is time consuming.
- Flat roofs, concrete & metal, have seams, flashings, vents, fastener holes, upstands for roof services, old layers of bitumen.............. the list goes on.
- Existing roof penetrations may be historically sealed with only a bead of caulking.
- Sheet membranes may have heat-welded seam failures that need detailing & preparation.
- Puncture holes can be prolific, from years of foot traffic servicing HVAC units, vibrational movement of the roof-mount equipment and thermal cycling.